Friday 21 May 2010

The Stani Gallery - Opens Today - 22 May 2010!!

I can't believe I haven't already mentioned this on my blog - a definate ommission on my part.  Bad Janie!!
The Stani Gallery in Stony Stratford High street is owned by a friend of mine (Suzi Whittacker - Resident Artist!) and she kindly invited me to exhibit my jewellery at the Gallery.  As this was to be my gallery debut, this was both an honour and a little frightening too.  Lots of anxiety - what if my jewellery wasn't good enough, or didn't compare well to the other 3 jewellers, or the prices were too high, or a hundred and one other doubts and fears that rose to the surface.  Of course I kept beating them down as I truely want to believe that a Gallery was a better 'market place' for my jewellery than 'my going to market'.

Well we had the 'invitation only preview' last night, and it was most enjoyable and certainly put many of my doubts to rest.  I also had the pleasure of meeting and chatting with two of the other three jewellers - both lovely people who are very talented in their own particular fields of jewellery.

So today I went to Bedford Market with my jewellery - a gloriously sunny day - it was lovely.  Lots of people going about their business.  Unfortunately, whilst I did manage to photograph all my new stock and price it and get it on display - and whilst a few did compliment my talants - it was a very slow and disappointing day - not a penny made.  I did reflect during the day on whether my belief that the 'market' just wasn't the right setting for my jewellery was the thing blocking my sales, or whether it actually wasn't the right place for me, or whether it was 'just the recession' and would pick up soon.  I figured I would tackle the mental aspect of it and try to change the limiting belief and then review.  I also pondered the idea that the Gallery might be better and I should just get all my jewellery in shops/stockists.

However, I guess I got my answer when I came home...
Today the gallery was 'closed after the night before' in preparation for the grand opening tomorrow - however inspite of that they still managed to sell a piece of my jewellery - and not one of the more affordable pieces, but one of the expensive pieces.  To say I was 'cock-a-hoop' would be an understatement.  I am soooooooo Happy!!
It also tells me that perhaps stockist/galleries/shops may be the answer.  And I know......one sale doesn't necessarily make a regular thing - but I live in hope.

So..if you are in Stony Stratford, or live close by and fancy a day out...why not go and visit the gallery - it is absolutely packed to the rafters with fabulous art, pottery, glassware and of course jewellery.  Their website is http://www.thestanigallery.co.uk/, if you would like to take a little look and find out about us artists and artisans.

blessings to all
jane

No comments:

Post a Comment